April 26, 2018

How to File a Complaint

Because investor-owned electric, gas, telephone utility, water and sewer companies are regulated by the Missouri Public Service Commission, citizens may make an informal complaint in writing, by telephone or personal appearance to the Commission without the need of legal assistance.

The Commission’s office is in the Governor Office Building at 200 Madison Street.  You may send mail to the PSC to PO Box 360, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0360.  The PSC’s Toll Free Number is 1-800-392-4211. m

If you contact the PSC, there are two types of interactions:  Consumer Inquiries and Complaints.
A consumer inquiry is an issue PSC staff can resolve without contacting the utility company. Inquiries also include EFIS Quick Hits that include “referrals” to other information sources on matters over which the Missouri PSC has no jurisdiction (cable television, Internet, service providers, satellite dishes, etc.).
A complaint typically involves a utility billing, payment, service or safety issue that requires PSC staff to contact the utility company for mediation or resolution.   A complaint does not necessarily mean the utility has violated Commission rules and regulations or the company’s tariff.